"Abstract" and "Basic" classes

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Sat Apr 9 20:12:28 UTC 2005

On Apr 9, 2005, at 2:15 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>   OctetString is my preference, but I don't have too strong feeling.
> (We would will need to rename #isOctetString and #asOctetString, but
> it is not a biggie.)
>
>   If I understand your suggestion correctly, ByteString is subclass of
> an abstract class String, right?  What would be the good name for
> MultiString?

Hi Yoshiki,

That's right, String would the abstract class, and ByteString a
subclass for string with 1-byte characters. I think the VW equivalent
of MultiString would be FourByteString, but they have quite a few other
string classes in the hierarchy. What about MultibyteString?

So the hierarchy would be:

String
	ByteString
	MultibyteString