native threads

Darren Hobbs darren.hobbs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 16:56:48 UTC 2005

Squeak processes do not preempt other processes at the same priority,
but they will for processes of lower priority.  Forking a high
priority process will always cause any lower priority process to
yield.  Its therefore possible to implement preemption for processes
of the same priority by spawning a high priority process that spends
most of its time waiting on a semaphore with a timeout.  When it wakes
up it will preempt any running process, causing that process to go to
the back of the process queue.