Fwd: native threads

Darren Hobbs darren.hobbs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 20:13:01 UTC 2005

As I understand it when processes are cooperative within a priority
its easier to perform time sensitive operations (like audio) - you
know nothing is going to interrupt the execution of a block of code
partyway.  Its possible (and fairly straightforward) to build
preemption on top of Squeak's threading model by using a high priority
thread to interrupt lower priority ones.  The reverse is not true -
you can't build a cooperative threading model on top of a preemptive
one.

Does that answer the question?