Fwd: native threads

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Apr 14 22:09:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:11:57 -0300, Ramiro Diaz Trepat
<ramirodt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why does it seem that the rest of the world abandoned green threads?

Again, unproven assumption. Java is not equal to the rest of the world.

> Why didn't the Java people stick to green threads for instance?

Dunnow. Java is full of funny design decisions. Discussing them here is
way off-topic.

> Why are same priority processes not preemtable in Squeak?

Good question. Probably it has to do with 'the contract' that the
scheduler offers Squeak developers. Like the assurance that your process
will never be pre-empted by equal priority processes, which is nice to
know if you're feeding bits of audio and video to output devices, I guess.

Whatever the reason, several people here have argued that it is simple
enough to work around that, if the need arises.

As usual, you have full control in Squeak. That does require a bit more
thinking now and then, and this is one of these cases. That is a good
thing, lest the world should be full of VB and Java code entry drones.

Try influence the scheduler in Java while the JVM is running before you
keep wondering about Squeak ;)

Really, this horse, as far as I'm concerned, is flogged way beyond dead. I
don't flog dead animals (I put them on the barbecue before they decompose
;)) so I hereby suggest to stop it here...