native threads

mds reifiedmind at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 15 09:49:58 UTC 2005

Giovanni Giorgi wrote (On 14 Apr 2005):

> Native threads are userful because of  preemptive mutlitasking.
> See the difference of stability of Mac OS System 9/8/7 and Mac Os X.
> We can live without preemptive mutlitasking, (we lived without it in a
> lot of system until 1995 and beyond).
> But if you want to develop a good server in a very *simple* way you
> definitevely need it at least in some situation.

Not to dispute your central point, I just wanted to note that a
comparison of Mac OS X and Mac OS <= 9 can't be usefully phrased in
terms of preemptive multitasking. While stability may well have been
improved with the release of OS X, we're discussing two separate
architectures here; this is not simply a case of the addition of
preemption to an existing code-base.

Cheers,
Marc