native threads

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 10:52:38 UTC 2005

On 4/15/05, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> > Is that because Linux shares pages somehow and does copy-on-write or
> > something? Just curious.
>
> Exactly. All of the Squeak object memory is data space that is
> shared when the fork() occurs. Unix memory management makes sure
> that additional memory pages are allocated only when one of the
> Squeaks updates something in the object memory.

How quickly do the object memories diverge?  Would a full garbage
collect screw this up, or is old space pretty stable?  I posted
recently on the Seaside list thinking about a model where we forked a
Squeak image for each session, but with the qualifier "once we have
some nice small images".  But maybe that's not necessary?

Avi