native threads

Daniel Salama dsalama at user.net
Fri Apr 15 17:32:16 UTC 2005

The text read:

Swazoo*: Swazoo is a light  web server written in Squeak. It is not
designed to be  used in place of Apache, but rather as a host for web
applications written in Squeak. In this capacity, it  functions exactly
like Java's Tomcat or Ruby's WEBrick.  Swazoo actually consists of two
packages, Swazoo-HTTP*  and Swazoo-Listener*, that are both required.

Comanche: Comanche is the older  web server for Squeak, and is still
very widely used. Recent  discontent with Comanche within the Squeak
community, combined with the arrival of Swazoo, puts its future  into
doubt. Concerns include the lack of a dedicated  maintainer, the
dilapidation of the code base, and the increasing problems with the
installation  process on modern versions of Squeak. For these reasons,
Comanche  was not included; Practical Squeak uses Swazoo instead.  If
you wish to use Comanche, please consult the mailing  list for
instructions.

This can be found at http://www.duke.edu/~bmp5/squeak/usable.html

- Daniel

On Apr 15, 2005, at 3:29 AM, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Daniel Salama <dsalama at user.net> wrote:
>> I have a somewhat off the thread question: I read somewhere that
>> Comanche
>> was being obsoleted by Swazoo. Is that true? If so, are there any
>> plans
>> of bundling the two into a single framework?
>
> Obsoleted? Where did you read that?
>
> Stephen Pair isn't active these days in Squeak so I have in practice
> taken over maintainership of KomHttpServer - and I should probably
> change the SM entry to reflect that (just listed as co-maintainer right
> now).
>
> KomHttpServer will most probably be around, the code is pretty good and
> I have just recently made some performance profiling on it and have a
> few things in the pipeline.
>
> I haven't looked at Swazoo myself so I have no idea if there would be a
> point in merging with it.
>
>>> OK, now I know you're trolling.  Anyone who says any java application
>>> server "runs perfectly" has never administrated one.  I've got
>>> Tomcat/JBoss/apache and several years with a standalone WebSphere
>>> server
>>> and I can tell you that stability is not their strong suit.
>>
>> My only comment is that I have a Tomcat/Apache/Oracle site (very busy)
>> and I have not had to restart the server (linux) nor any of the
>> applications for the past 2 years.
>
> Hehe, a sidenote - yesterday our server running three Tomcat apps
> started to crawl. Memory is leaking somehow so we had to restart them,
> and this is on Debian so I don't think the OS is at fault.
>
> But Java apps can be made stable of course - it is just that my
> personal
> experience shows that Squeak apps are even more stable and require less
> resources. Again, just my *personal* experience, no point in arguing
> it.
> :)
>
>> - Daniel
>
> regards, Göran

Daniel Salama
dsalama at user.net
Voice: (954) 655-8051
Fax  : (954) 252-3988

This e-mail contains information which may be confidential and
privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to
receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose
to anyone the message or any information contained in the
message.  If you have received the message in error, please
advise the sender by reply e-mail to dsalama at user.net or
tel. +1-954-655-8051 and delete the material from any computer.