Celeste and IRC stuff

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Apr 15 22:53:27 UTC 2005

This isn't a proper bug report, but just a list of little changes I have
made to use Celeste and IRC daily. I can include the actual patches if
there is interest, but didn't do so here because they might be a bad
idea for most people.

I have just updated to Celeste 1.24 in a Squeak 3.8-6639 image since
most of my problems were related with international characters.

To deal with badly formed emails:

- patched #digitValue: (Unicode class and EnodedCharSet class) to accept
lower case letters because some emails had this in headers

- patched #mimeDecode (RFC2047MimeConverter) to not go crazy on a bad
sequence

- patched #parts (MIMEDocument) to deal with bad separators

To load the database from an older version I forced some files to open
as a StandardFileStream.

To deal with international characters in general, removed #isoToSqueak
and #squeakToIso from all methods in Celeste, CelesteComposition and
MailMessage. The ones in CelesteComposition were already causing
problems in Squeak 3.7 since they were being applied twice.

To deal with different charsets added some stuff to #from: in
MailMessage. Had to add workaround in #formatedText in Mail message
(described in Mantis) to replace large Unicode characters with $?.

Something I have done messed up HTML rendering, which was working
before.
-----

I am still using eIRC in a Squeak 3.6-5429 image. The SM tool doesn't
tell me which version of eIRC I have, but it isn't the most recent one.

To see if the latest message is new, #ircMessageReceived:
(IRCChannelObserver) and #prepareNickAsRequired:
(IRCChannelObserverEnhanced) were patched to add a time stamp before
each message.

To deal with IPv6 addresses, #fromString: (IRCProtocolMessage class) was
patched, though I think newer versions already include this.

When connecting the existing channel panes update their user list but
not the topic line. This might have been fixed in a later version.

-- Jecel