[ANN] new website for squeak.org in beta :)

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sat Apr 16 22:01:51 UTC 2005

On Apr 16, 2005, at 4:33 PM, Martin Wirblat wrote:

> stéphane ducasse wrote:
>> Hi guys
>> We have been working to get a new website for squeak (thanks pavel,
>> alex and the others...)
>> Please have a look at
>>     http://box1.squeakfoundation.org:7777/

Wow, this is really starting to look good.  Many thanks to Stephane for
helping organize this effort, and to Pavel, Alex and everyone working
on it.

It looks polished but not oppressively corporate, and reasonably
well-organized.  By far the best-looking squeak.org page I've seen,
anyway. :)

> The "About"-page has to become the start page in exchange for "Hot
> sites". People want to be informed what Squeak is first of all and not
> be sent immediately to another site. Currently your start page looks
> suspiciously like a doorway page...

Hmm, it's not at all clear to me that this would be a good idea.
There's too much in the About section to have as the start page.
Although arguably the intro sentence on the start page could be
expanded a bit into a small paragraph.

Minor comment... I wonder if "Linux" deserves its own link in the
Download box on the right.  Linux is probably the third of the major
platforms, everything else could go under "Others".  (Although I'm not
really a Linux user... is there a single Linux release that would be
appropriate?)

- Doug