FFI ExternalAddress and freeing memory

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sun Apr 17 00:57:57 UTC 2005

Blake <blake at kingdomrpg.com> wrote:

> Yeah, imagine a world where you didn't have to wonder if the platform was
> suddenly going to consume all the CPU time with automatic garbage
> collection. ;-)
In twenty years of using Smalltalk I've not yet suffered that particular problem, except when debugging new GC mechansms as part of developing the VM itself. On the other hand I've seen many memory leaks, memory-all-gone crashes, virtual memory thrashing (in one case for three _days_) and buffer overflows (ask windows users) and bad pointers because of a lack of referential integrity. So, on balance I'll take the risk.

tim
Use GOTOs only to implement a fundamental structure.