[ANN] new website for squeak.org in beta :)

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sun Apr 17 05:12:38 UTC 2005

The front page, and the other pages I look at, seem to assume that
people know what smalltalk is.  If we want to reach out, we can't make
that assumption.

This raises the question of who the audience for the site is.  One
approach might be to have links for different kinds of audiences on
the front page (educators, multimedia, software developer, web
developer ...).

A basic split is whether the initial description should focus on what
squeak can do, or how it does it.  I mention the different audiences
because I think some want the what, others the how.  (And different
groups are interested in different subsets).

So I guess I've partly answered my own question about audience: my
bias would be to orient the page to people who are new to squeak and
are trying to find out a little about it.

In that spirit, I agree with the suggestion that the start page should
be more like the about page--not as long though.  Maybe not nearly as
long, if the emphasis is on different audiences.

A little graphics would spruce it up, but keep the download time
reasonable.

Thanks for working on this.