[ANN] OSC for Squeak

Stéphane Rollandin lecteur at zogotounga.net
Sun Apr 17 20:02:53 UTC 2005

Brad Fuller wrote:
> Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
>
>> hello,
>>
>> now that we have OSC support, does someone plan to work on a Squeak
>> client for the Supercollider server ?
>>

>> Stef
>

> How do you see Squeak interfacing with SC or PD in practice? Why not
> just use SC or PD for your compositions? Are you thinking of interfacing
> non-audio Squeak apps with SC?
>
> brad

I don't see the same picture with PD and SC. PD patches define their own
semantic for OSC messages so there are as many clients as there are
patches, while I believe there is a definite OSC adress tree within the
SC server which provide hooks for writing the client langage the
composer actually program with.

at the moment I am aware of the existence of the original SClang client
langage (for MacOS and Linux I reckon), a PLT Scheme implementation and
a Python one (which is part of the Windows port of SC).

the original SC3 client/server relationship is explained here:
http://www.psi-o.net/pseudonym/boot_up.php (SClang /

the PLT scheme extension is introduced here:
http://www.alphalink.com.au/~rd/p/rsc.html

so what I had in mind was something along the line of the PLT Scheme
stuff, only within Squeak.

to say it another way: the SC sound engine does not require a specific
langage to be programmed. so why not using smalltalk ?

Stef