old code is good code!

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Apr 18 01:08:16 UTC 2005

Benjamin Pollack <benjamin.pollack at gmail.com> wrote:
> At the time I wrote the paragraph on Comanche, Swazoo was getting
> actively updated to run on newer images, including 3.7 and 3.8, and I
> don't think Comanche was running on anything newer than 3.6 without
> serious effort. Since that page was written specifically for newbie
> users, having a guide that said, "To use Comanche, download these four
> packages in this order (dependency checking not enforced), file in
> these two Monticello changesets to fix some conflicts, and then tweak
> this line of code" would have been ridiculous. Thankfully, Goran
> donated the knowledge and time to clean up the mess, get it all
> running well on Squeak 3.7, and produce the newbie-friendly
> KomHttpServer 7 package[...]

Ah, I see what you are saying.  This is all quite true.

As far as improving that situation, though, it looks like processes can
help as much as  module systems.  Just look at what Linux
distributions accomplish using simple "module" systems.  Linux module
systems essentially unpack some files and run a post-install script, but
the surrounding processes make it work out.  They do things such as keep
track of which packages are actually loadable--packages that aren't
loadable aren't allowed into stable releases.

-Lex