native threads

Ramiro Diaz Trepat ramirodt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 13:55:43 UTC 2005

I believe my point is not minor or foolish.
I think I might have overreacted to a subtle thing like defending the
right cause for the wrong reasons, when I heard that the best mail
client, web server, etc.  were Squeak's, and that there was no problem
whatsoever with green threads.
A few months ago, Harvard University's director said that women were
not performing as well as men on natural sciences.  He said something
that is not an allowed "statement" in the world of political
correctness; he was heavily attacked, but not honestly questioning his
statement, but rather with a message like "this is something no one
says by now... you should know, you animal".  That's sad...
I think it is not a proper attitude to consider such an important
issue as the Squeak threading model not ever using native threads as
closed.
In spite your employer does not use them, I'm sure native threads will
be needed in some context.
The most judicious answer (I think it was from Göran), suggested that
probably the best model would be to have a pool of native threads and
a larger pool of green threads running on them.
And if you remember, I reacted because I did not like the idea of
sprinkling my code with Processor yield statements.  Then,  Ned and
others clarified that I should never ever write that statement.  But I
think I got the confusion because the only way to get that famous
SharedQueue filled unsequentially was including the yields in the
blocks or else... rewriting the scheduler ! :)
Best regards to all.

r.

On 4/18/05, Todd Blanchard <tblanchard at mac.com> wrote:

--