Question: VM and DirectFB (Direct Framebuffer)

mds reifiedmind at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 19 18:10:25 UTC 2005

Hi Rene,

I tried running Squeak via FB on a Linux system (a 3.6 Image, kernel
2.4 I believe) a while back; speed comparisons indicated that the
interface was a little too languid to be usable.

For fluid operation in Morphic, X11's acceleration was too useful to
abandon. Additionally, there was the mouse issue: sluggish and
interrupted when running via FB (using the gpm driver?), real-time and
responsive in X. Not hard to see why I made the choice to retire from
the FB world. I'll add as a sidenote, however, that the hardware in
question was pretty old.

So to answer your question - yes, Squeak can use FB. 'Acceleration',
I'm not so sure about....

Hope that helps, and isn't too anecdotal.

Warm regards,
Marc