Clusters, grids and Squeak

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Apr 19 19:20:20 UTC 2005

Darren Hobbs wrote on Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:55:17 +0100
> Loath as I am to continue in the multiprocess / multithreading vein,
> I'm going to anyway :-)

And so I am forced to repeat my list of references about this subject,
though some on this mailing list might be tired of them by now :-)

Here is a picture of a Smalltalk computer with 1024 processors:

http://cva.stanford.edu/j-machine/cva_j_machine.html

I built one with 64 processors, but it was dismantled before I took any
pictures or ran Smalltalk on it. There were some papers about this, but
only the most recent one (1994) is in English:

http://www.merlintec.com/lsi/jabs1.html

Some simple results of trying to run code originally written for a
sequential Smalltalk (Self 4.0) in parallel:

http://www.merlintec.com/lsi/tiny.html#rel1

-- Jecel

p.s.: someone damaged the main page in the old Merlin Project site and
the web masters there don't seem interested in fixing it, so I have
created a mirror and that is what the above links are pointing to