Clusters, grids and Squeak

Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Wed Apr 20 21:22:39 UTC 2005

Would you be referring to things like Rodney Brooks's subsumption
architecture?  Very impressive work, but as I recall he was using "really"
small microcontrollers like 68HC11, where even Craig's 'Spoon' work would
be too big.

                                        -Dean

"Joaquin Sitte" <j.sitte at qut.edu.au>
Sent by: squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfoundation.org
04/19/2005 08:38 PM
Please respond to The general-purpose Squeak developers list

        To:     <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Clusters, grids and Squeak

>What might work is starting one headfull image to act as task
>coordinator, and devise a way to launch a bunch of very cut-down
>headless 'worker' images.

This is precisely what is needed for applications in robotics, where
numerous low power processors do sensor signal processing and/or actuator
control. Multitasking is replaced by parallel distributed computing making
real time response easier to achieve with much less software overhead.

I would like to hear from those doing work on Squeak in that direction.

Joaquin

Dr. Joaquin Sitte, Associate Professor.
School of Software Engineering and Data Communication
Faculty of Information Technology
Queensland University of Technology
GPO Box 2434, Brisbane, Q 4001
Australia