Reloading shared objects.

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Apr 22 13:21:06 UTC 2005

Hi!

=?iso-8859-1?b?RnJhbudvaXM=?= THIMON <thimof at iutc3.unicaen.fr> wrote:
> Hi. Does someone know whether a squeak image enables reloading shared libraries
> (ie. .SO modules) without closing the whole environment and re-opening
> afterwards. Please tell me yes!!!! What a pain in the neck when you gotta debug
> external code!!

The answer is yes.

> Plese note that it's no use answering me I should use slang, I already know this
> but I gotta use FFI for a code mostly written long time ago. Anyway I'm more
> fluent with C than I am with slang.

Eh... you don't need to use slang to write plugins. You can just use the
available "smartness" for type conversions and then write the bulk of
the plugin in C. Many plugins are written like that.

And I am not sure about FFI, but plugins can be reloaded dynamically - I
did that when I was experimenting with writing a gtkplugin.

> Thanks in advance (for telling me it's possible... please).

regards, Göran