BFAV to shutdown or not shutdown

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Apr 22 18:20:02 UTC 2005

> <rant>
> I'm not trying to offense anyone here but I think we lost more than we
> gained dropping  BFAV in favor
> of Mantis.
> There are several issues:
> Moving from BFAV to Mantis meant loosing all the convenience and
> transparency and
> flexibility to do all the work in Squeak: Downloading a fix with a web
> browser and then finding and
> opening that file with  Squeak  and then review it  in  the  web
> browser  jumping back and forth between
> Squeak and the browser to get all the comments the way it should be
> and filing out a suggested enhancement
> to the fix and locate that from the web browser to be able to put that
> up on Mantis so someone can repeat that
> process to see if a two line fix is worth it or not.  That was much
> easier with BFAV!
> The reviewer note pad was great, mailing out bugs
> from Squeak was great and not having to switch in and out of Squeak to
> find out if a bug was
> reported or not. And the share joy of eating our own dog food using
> Squeak as the main platform
> for enhancing and not jump into a distracting and strange web
> interface. And being able to
> fix and enhance the BFAV using Squeak.And that the Mantis is a system
> is a system I
> would never ever want fix or maintain or understand.
> And there was right up to the time when BFAV was dropped several great
> enhancements and refactorings
> going on and the efforts would probably continued if it wasn't
> dropped. And I think it would be easier to
> implement the features this community wants using BFAV.
> </rant>
> But I know that you had problems with the server side on BFAV, and
> since I don't see those problems
> and their headaches I know only the half the story.
> Karl

Yes so getting back the BFAV feeling + a BugTracking system would be
nice in essence.
So may be the bug should be sent not to the mailing-list to avoid
parsing email but to
a kind of server and BFAV should use the server. Ken it seems that
email was the problem
and the lack of bug tracking. ken what is your feeling since you were
the guy behind all that great stuff.

Stef