web browsers (was: squeak laptop for the rest of us)

Peter Crowther Peter at ozzard.org
Fri Apr 22 21:45:39 UTC 2005

> From: squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfoundation.org
> When I wrote the web browser at Interval in Squeak back in 1997/98,
> probably 80% of my time was spent trying to compensate for bad,
> poorly-formed HTML.

That low?  I'm impressed.

> I don't expect things have gotten much better in the
> intervening years, but
> perhaps more people use tools now to do layout.

The tag soup hasn't improved much.  The automated tools are worse, if
anything, as they put in *deliberately* bad HTML to compensate for
browser misbehaviours.  It's quite rare to see clean HTML, let alone
XHTML.  Also, don't believe that the tools ease the issue of well-formed
HTML.  The most they'll usually admit to is HTML4 Transitional, and they
screw with that.  The site I had to take apart this morning had been
developed in Dreamweaver MX, and had glitches up to and including pieces
of text inside angle-brackets.

		- Peter