web browsers

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Sat Apr 23 01:19:07 UTC 2005

Lex Spoon wrote on Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:03:43 -0400
> > Ok, better do a new test. Squeak 3.8-6548, Solaris Sparc 3.4-1, Scamper
> > Installer 1, Array2D 1 and HTMLTableMorph r1.
> >
> > I was able to see several pages, though for example
> > http://www.squeak.org/ was rendered far too wide to actually see any
> > text or pictures. But when I tried http://www.squeakland.org/ I got a
> > "Bus Error". I tried it two more times with the same result.
>
> Yow, that's really bad.  Could you please do a "squeak -version", as
> well, to see what VM version it is?

Solaris Sparc 3.4-1. Sorry for not making clear that this was the VM.

I saw that Karl released version 9 of the HTMLTableMorph (thanks, Karl!)
and so I tried that. The Squeak site was vastly improved, but I still
got a Bus Error on the Squeakland one.

So I tried the exact same configuration on a 3.7b-5 VM in Linux x86 and
it worked ok. Normally I don't notice too much of a difference in speed
between the 277MHz UltraSparc and the 600MHz Pentium III but in this
case it was *really* obvious.

The obvious thing to do next was to try a newer VM on the Sparc, so I
got a 3.7b-5 binary for it. The result is still a Bus Error when trying
to access the Squeakland page.

-- Jecel