Monticello Package Browser

Alexandre Bergel bergel at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Apr 26 14:35:25 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have been working on a new package browser comming with a clean Package class. I was quite busy the previous weeks, however I would like to push it further. It slowly become more and more usuable.

I am currently working on showing information related to class extension. Have a look at http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Resources/SqueakPackages/packagebrowser.jpg
The left most pane shows the list of packages and categories that compose them. The class pane shows classes and class that are extended (*Class).
Clicking on a package and an extended class shows (as on the picture) shows the list of methods that belongs to the selected package.

You have to read the screenshot as: The class OBMethodNode defined in the package OB-Standard is extended by the package 'Package' with two methods extensions: #isDescendantOfPackage: and #isDescendantOfPackageSubcategory:

What I plan to do in the very short term:
  - Allowing classes to belong in a package without caring about subcategory.
  - Have some better menu
  - Adding a star in front of a method if it is a method extension.

For mid-range term:
  - To make the browser fast. Now it is slower to the normal squeak browser.
  - To add two buttons Package and Hierarchy (a la Visualworks)
  - Work on a binary support for Monticello

The website http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Resources/SqueakPackages contains a runnable image.

Thanks Avi, Colin and Stef for your feedbacks.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~bergel