Unmatching methods/calls.

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Apr 27 00:56:17 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 04:26:14PM +0200, François THIMON wrote:
> Hi.
> Something really annoying in squeak is you often find invokations of methods
> that don't exist. Just to give some examples, I found : WriteStream on:(String
> new:128) in XMLTokenizer class but though, no on: method is present amongst the
> static methods of WriteStream. I also found some examples in socket classes that
> I needed to correct by myself to get them to work.
> Why isn't there any method available in XMLParser? They do but call
> subclassResponsibility!

Hi François,

I think that perhaps you are more familiar with Java. In Smalltalk, the
"static" methods are really just methods in the class of the object, and
there is no need to reproduce them in every subclass. Classes are real
objects, and the normal method lookup works the same for methods in the
class as it does in for methods in the instance.

There is no such thing as "static" in Squeak, practically everything is
dynamic :)

Dave