Traits and end Performance (was Re: Fwd: Fortress Language Specification)

Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Wed Apr 27 15:40:41 UTC 2005

If I understand things correctly, Traits (at least as implemented for
Squeak) cannot include references to instance variables, and so the
performance will largely be constrained by method send performance.  Is
this correct?

If this is the case (that Traits relies heavily on send performance and
therefore method lookups, etc.) I would be concerned about migrating any
of Squeak's class library to a Traits based implementation.  This may be
incentive enough though to seriously consider upgrading the VM to use the
'stack frame based contexts converted to full objects as necessary', or
any other techniques that improve send performance.

On a slightly related note, using a 3.7 VM, I see around 4 million
sends/sec on my 3 GHz Pentium 4 HT, but about 6 million sends/sec on my
1.2 GHz iBook G4.  The bytcodes/sec performance is higher on the P4 than
the iBook though.  Can anyone explain this?

                -Dean

stéphane ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch>
Sent by: squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfoundation.org
04/27/2005 10:25 AM
Please respond to The general-purpose Squeak developers list