Dorado bytecodes per second

Tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Apr 29 18:14:22 UTC 2005

Jecel Assumpcao Jr <jecel at merlintec.com> wrote:

> > My first ARM system was 4 mips (no cache at all, not even instruction pre-
> > fetch) with 4Mb of slow ram. It scored 27% Dorado but was thoroughly usable
as

> (600MHz / 8MHz) * 0.27 Dorados = 20.25 Dorados. That seems about right.
> Wasn't the ARM3 around 36MHz or something like that?

I've been reminded of the numbers and I misquoted (senility something or
other . I forget). The ARM2 at 8MHz scored 87% Dorado, the ARM3 at 12MHz scored
125%. ARM2 had no cache at all, ARM3 had 4kb combined instruction/data cache.
So the comparison would be

(600/8) * 87 -> 65~ Dorado or ~three times what I'm getting.

XScale at 600MHz has 16kb (?) each of instruction and data caches and a rather
more modern memory interface than the ARM2.

tim
Useful random insult:- One saucer short of a tea-service.