Dorado bytecodes per second

Martin Wirblat sql.mawi at t-link.de
Sat Apr 30 20:10:36 UTC 2005

Andreas Raab wrote:

> That's not to say we should throw away speed but the patterns really
> have changed. For example, we use "foo isNil" without even realizing
> that doing that is some 30 times slower than the equivalent "foo == nil".

Yes, and that's the culprit, many people don't realize this and later
everyone wonders why things become slower instead of faster. My bet is
that the Squeak image could be made a lot faster optimizing such simple
things, _much_ more than most people would guess.

Let me say here, that I don't argue about some very modern UI with which
you are familiar with ;) For the basic design one can always
*thoughtfully* find the right compromise between speed and other desired
features. It is more that I think that many people really are not
thoughtfully about how *unnecessary* "friction losses" are adding up.

So, if we don't realize that something is 30 times slower than the
alternative we probably throw away speed. Like you said - the MVC of
today would be a huge factor slower.

Regards
Martin