question: interpretation of TimeProfile

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Mon Aug 1 18:03:33 UTC 2005

Hello Chris,

CM> It includes execution of the entire method, including time spent evaluating
CM> aBlock value:.

after writing the message I did some testing. I made a method used in
aBlock value: (the one below) count up some numbers to make it run
significantly longer. This made the percentage of it grow and the the
percentage of OrderedCollection>>do: decrease. That would indicate
otherwise unless the time counting is more complicated.

CM> I've never been quite sure what the **Leaves** section means.

In my other programming environment (assembler on DSP) a leaf is a
routine at the lowest level of nesting but I'm not sure if this is
valid here.

CM> My understanding is that, during profiling, a snapshot is taken of the stack
CM> every few milliseconds.  Whatever time has passed since the last snapshot is
CM> added to each frame in the current snapshot.  That's why you see 100% in the
CM> root-frame because it was present in every snapshot.

Well I imagined that samples are taken only of the top of stack for
the time percentage and the deeper entries of the stack are only used
to build the indentation.

Trying to find out from the source is above me, especially as opening
a debugger seems to stop profiling.

So I'm still stuck about what really is sampled.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net