LookEnhancements enhancement

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Aug 2 18:40:17 UTC 2005

On 2-Aug-05, at 11:20 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:
> - It might be a good idea to rethink the position and icons of the
> window icons. I don't find it very intuitive how it's done right now,
> and I'm not alone with that. Perhaps do it more like Windows, both in
> terms of icons (hyphen, caret, X) and position (all on the right,
> minize, maximize, close).

There simply isn't any such thing as 'intuitive' here. Left, right,
middle, X or red-blob, it's not intuitive. It might be _intuitable_
once you've been given a decent clue. If you're lucky.

The fact that Windows does it some way is not a reason to make Squeak
do it that way, any more than copying OSX is "the right way". A simple,
logical set of controls, with an understandable way of acting and icons
that are not too ugly is the best approach. If people do have strong
attachment to their platforms way of doing things then someone with
time and interest needs to work on a framework to handle that. If
you're _really_ into platform furniture, start making use of the
Areithfa Ffenestri code to provide platform windows (and potentially,
menus).

tim