LookEnhancements enhancement

Ramon Leon rleon at insario.com
Tue Aug 2 19:00:32 UTC 2005

> On 2-Aug-05, at 11:20 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:
> > - It might be a good idea to rethink the position and icons of the
> > window icons. I don't find it very intuitive how it's done
> right now,
> > and I'm not alone with that. Perhaps do it more like
> Windows, both in
> > terms of icons (hyphen, caret, X) and position (all on the right,
> > minize, maximize, close).
>
> There simply isn't any such thing as 'intuitive' here. Left,
> right, middle, X or red-blob, it's not intuitive. It might be
> _intuitable_ once you've been given a decent clue. If you're lucky.
>
> The fact that Windows does it some way is not a reason to
> make Squeak do it that way, any more than copying OSX is "the
> right way". A simple, logical set of controls, with an

Actually, it is.  It's not unreasonable to say that almost "all"
computers run windows.  Windows has over 90% of the market, so most
people will feel that windows style is more intuitive because it's what
they're used too, that doesn't mean it's better, but it is more
intuitive.

> understandable way of acting and icons that are not too ugly
> is the best approach. If people do have strong attachment to
> their platforms way of doing things then someone with time

Windows is not "their" platform, it's almost "everyones" platform, like
it not, that is reality.

> and interest needs to work on a framework to handle that. If
> you're _really_ into platform furniture, start making use of
> the Areithfa Ffenestri code to provide platform windows (and
> potentially, menus).

The real question is what's the goal of LookEnhancements, if it's to
make squeak prettier to make it more popular, then it needs to try and
look more like windows, plain and simple, because that's the target
market, that's where "most" programmers are.  If the goal is to look
cool, then make it look like Mac, it's much prettier, but that isn't
where the programmers are.