LookEnhancements enhancement

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Aug 2 21:50:47 UTC 2005

On 2-Aug-05, at 12:00 PM, Ramon Leon wrote:
> Actually, it is.  It's not unreasonable to say that almost "all"
> computers run windows.  Windows has over 90% of the market, so most
> people will feel that windows style is more intuitive because it's what
> they're used too, that doesn't mean it's better, but it is more
> intuitive.
I think that is wrong on several levels. Firstly, it is claimed (apply
whatever pinch of salt you feel applies to such claims) that although
the new-machine market is dominated by windows machines the actual
deployed-machine population is rather different. Supposedly there is
more in the 20% realm for Mac, plus of course the nominal windows
machines that are actually running some OSS linux/freeBSD/netBSd/etc.
That would probably put windows down in the 75% region. Then there are
the large number that are still win2k and even win95. WinXP might even
be below 50% deployed base! Now consider how different the UIs are
between 95/2k/xp.

Not to forget that even if winXP were close to 100%, that wouldn't mean
it was the 'right thing'. If we took that approach we'd be sticking
with DOS or even CP/M etc.

Personally I find the windows, mac and linux UIs with which  I have any
familiarity to be dismal in the extreme. I tolerate the RISC OS UI just
barely enough to prevent me throwing the machine out of the window.
I've not seen any of the more fringe UIs such as Be so I can't comment
on them.

tim