LookEnhancements enhancement

Ramon Leon rleon at insario.com
Mon Aug 8 17:38:30 UTC 2005

> Hi all,
>
> I've checked in version 45 of LookEnhancements. In this
> release window borders have been put on a diet shedding 1/3
> of their width. I thought about making it a preference, but I
> kind of like the thinner borders the more I look at them. If
> there is anyone that really wants thicker borders (we are
> talking 4 pixels vs. the former 6 pixels) then let me know.
> It would be real easy to make a preference, but I kind of
> don't like lots of preferences if no one particularly cares.
>
> Anyways, enjoy.
>
> John

Thank you, love the new thinner look, feels much nicer.  As far as the
docking window idea goes, I don't know how to do it, else I would submit
a change set.  I came to squeak for Seaside, morphic has not been on my
list of things to learn, and I only get to play in squeak in my free
time, which is limited.

You asked, "So the question in mind is "is it natural for windows to
know about other windows as if you are laying out tiles on the screen?"
or would this feature frustrate users when they are trying to overlap
windows slightly?"

I'd say, does anyone "ever" want to overlap a window by 2px?  I'd say
not really, if they are getting the borders that close together, odds
are they're trying to tile them to work with multiple windows.  I played
with Linux a bit recently and KDE had this as an option, when the window
borders got close enough they'd just snap together, but only within a
certain range, couple of pixels, or when they got close enough to the
edge of the screen, they'd snap to it.  I loved it, you'd only notice it
when you were trying to tile, and it helped tremendously, I thought it
was one the of coolest little features I'd seen and wish Windows did
that, wish Squeak did that, be nice to see an autoDockWindows
preference.