What do you think about Ruby ?

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Tue Aug 9 08:41:01 UTC 2005

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 18:18:46 -0700, C G <catgame at gmail.com> wrote:

>> >    (1..4).each { | i | puts i }
>>
>> Probably because you're a Smalltalker, too.<s>
>
> This particular feature was introduced into the
> PL arena by SETL I suppose?
>
> Nowadays it is everywhere, nearly all functional
> languages have it. Python has it too.

That represents a sea change, then, as I have consistently in the past
heard such constructs referred to as offputting. Not just the for-loop but
also Smalltalk if/then statements.

I remember reading somewhere that LISPers were convinced that every
"advance" in popular programming took it closer to LISP. It certainly
could be that the gradual introduction of Smalltalk-ish elements has made
formerly offputting constructs more acceptable to a larger audience.