LookEnhancements enhancement

John Pierce john.raymond.pierce at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 21:30:08 UTC 2005

Hi Ramon,

On 8/8/05, Ramon Leon <rleon at insario.com> wrote:

> Thank you, love the new thinner look, feels much nicer. As far as the
> docking window idea goes, I don't know how to do it, else I would submit
> a change set. I came to squeak for Seaside, morphic has not been on my
> list of things to learn, and I only get to play in squeak in my free
> time, which is limited.

I am interested in the docking windows idea, but I am plumb out of ideas on
how to implement right now.

> I played
> with Linux a bit recently and KDE had this as an option, when the window
> borders got close enough they'd just snap together, but only within a
> certain range, couple of pixels, or when they got close enough to the
> edge of the screen, they'd snap to it. I loved it, you'd only notice it
> when you were trying to tile, and it helped tremendously, I thought it
> was one the of coolest little features I'd seen and wish Windows did
> that, wish Squeak did that, be nice to see an autoDockWindows
> preference.

Sounds nice and seems like something that should be easy to implement, but
the more I think about it I think it is non-trivial (unless I am thinking
about it the wrong way). You'd have to know direction the user is moving the
window and snap to windows in that general direction once you got near them
(say 10 - 20 pixels). Then you'd have to let the user pass over that window
if they wanted to keep trucking by. Also, the user should be able to unstick
the window with ease and go in the opposite direction.

So the pseudo-code elludes me right now on how to do this, but I think you'd
have to model direction of movement and do some edge analysis with each
movement.

John

--
It's easy to have a complicated idea. It's very very hard to have a simple
idea. -- Carver Mead