What do you think about Ruby ?

Daniel Vainsencher daniel.vainsencher at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 04:08:42 UTC 2005

Well, I sort of disagree. True, for the individual, there is not
tradeoff in having images. This is like for the individual, there is no
tradeoff in having sound proof ear muffs. When you want, you can remove
them and talk to people, when you want, you can put them on, and have
some peace and quiet.

The problem is that when everyone has them, it might be difficult to
find someone to talk to.

The analogy is deeper than it looks - how much code, how many projects,
are preserved, but unshared, sealed in their own little images?

As was demonstrated last ESUG, this makes for wonderful archeology.
However, textual scripts that do not preserve too much context, but are
just code, are in many ways easier to share with other people.
Therefore, they are better memes than images are.

Of course, this is far from being a state of affairs we can't change.
Just using Monticello makes it much much easier to share code, in many
ways easier than sharing code using other, file based versioning
systems. But Monticello, while not that complicated in itself, is not so
trivial to use as ChangeSets, or saving the image.

So someone looking for the right environment to learn, should learn
Squeak, but also Monticello. And for those of us that live in Squeak
already, we should make it easier to live without those ear muffs.

Daniel