[ANN] 3.9alpha6680

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Wed Aug 17 16:38:45 UTC 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:23:42 +0200, "Marcus Denker"
<denker at iam.unibe.ch> said:
> Hello,
>
> There is now a new 3.9alpha available. I will later write a more
> detailed mail about how 3.9a development will work.

Thanks also to Marcus for doing almost all of the 3.9alpha harvesting so
far under this new process.  While we're waiting for Marcus' more
detailed email, there is some basic info on the new process here:

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5718

> Am 17.08.2005 um 16:32 schrieb Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene:
>
> > Marcus:
> > I know this.
> > When I try download the zip fail,
>
> It should not fail. Please note that ftp.squeak.org uses http, not
> ftp as
> a protocol, regardless of the name.

Yes, the zip I downloaded from http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/ is working for
me right now.

> > so follow procedure as described. (About 3
> > hours  of process ).
>
> Which description about what are you following? please be more specific.

I'm guessing he's talking about following the update stream from 3.8
final, which you can do by setting the SystemVersion to 3.9alpha and
longer than just downloading the new 3.9alpha-6680 zip, so it's not
recommended.

Also, after you do this, the image is much larger because all the
packages are also stored in the in-image MC cache, so I think that's
what he's referring to with the huge image.  To get back to a
normal-sized image you have to flush the caches, which can be done in
the MC browser.  Also, we did this in update 6677.

Probably occasionally when we put up a new alpha image on the ftp site,
we may want to flush these caches to make sure the image is reasonably
small.

> I do not use iSqueak, so I can't comment on that. But as much as I know,
> the Impara repository is building up mc diffs on the server side and
> cashes
> those, so updating should be quite fast. We will soon have this in
> the squeak3.9
> setup, too, but some bugs need to be fixed before this works.

Yes, it looks like I have the diffs stuff completely working now on my
local machine, I just need to prepare the image to put on the sqf server
and do some testing.

- Doug