cant run squeak as service

John Pierce john.raymond.pierce at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 23:03:26 UTC 2005

Hi Leo,

On 8/17/05, leo at smalltalking.net <leo at smalltalking.net> wrote:

> Recently I have to run squeak as a sevice in win 2000 server and win 2003
> server platform and I cant do it. The squeak image have a functional swiki
> that I saved with the server running.
> I try runnig like:
>
> squeak -service: "ComSwiki"
>
> later, the service is running but I cant access to the swiki.

<snip />

Any help would be apreciated!

> Regards, Leo

I run squeak successfully using srvany.exe and instsrv.exe from the resource
kit. Instrv.exe is a command-line tool that installs any program executable
as a service on the machine. In this case, we use srvany.exe as the program
to install into the service control manager. Srvany.exe is another
command-line tool that will wrap any program properly as a service.
Srvany.exe requires you to setup some registry parameters that tell it what
program it is running. I run squeak with the standard parameters (e.g. what
image file) but I also include the "-headless" option. That's about all I do
and it works every time on Windows XP, 2000, or 2003. I run probably 10 - 15
squeak instances this way.

Let me know if you need more details but all these programs are available on
the net. Below is a sample dump of my registry keys for one of my Squeak
instances:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Squeak 3.8\Parameters]
"AppDirectory"="d:\\squeak38"
"Application"="squeak.exe"
"AppParameters"="-headless Squeak3.8g-6527.image"

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John

--
It's easy to have a complicated idea. It's very very hard to have a simple
idea. -- Carver Mead