pending mac VM 3.8.8b7 for comment

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Aug 18 07:22:47 UTC 2005

I've posted a mac vm 3.8.8b9

ftp.smalltalkconsulting.com

Squeak 3.8.8beta9.app.zip

This VM attempts to flush the screen after a 16-32ms pause.

If one draw event occurs the flush is done immediately, if two draws
occur within the 32ms period, the second draw event may lag by as
much as 32ms.
A change to checkForInterrupts logic was done to ensure any pending
flushs are done within a 16-32ms window.

This seems to give good performance for:

a) bouncing atoms
b) and...

[Time millisecondsToRun:[
     | b |
     b _ Pen new.
     Display fillWhite.
     b place:(Display boundingBox bottomLeft).
     b hilbert: 7 side: 2]] repeat

c) menu interaction.

I will note that it works with Quartz extreme, and seems to reduce
WindowServer CPU thus giving more cpu time to Squeak.

I have not tested on os-x versions before 10.4.
I have not noticed any lag problems, people should check for those.
I have not noticed any issues with antialiasing or color changes,

On 17-Aug-05, at 7:00 AM, Karsten Wolf wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Am 17.08.2005 um 13:26 schrieb John M McIntosh:
>

>> Thanks, I've posted a 3.8.8b8 VM for you to look at, it attempts
>> to flush any pending drawing after a second of idle time.
>>

> animation gets very jaggy without user interaction (mousemove
> etc.). Open the FreeCell 1 game or a BouncingAtomMorph to observe.
>
> -karsten

===