Game Development: Ultima Online Client

Danny Grein danny.listas at gmx.net
Mon Aug 22 15:40:45 UTC 2005

Eric Goebelbecker, Brad Fuller, Alan Grimes, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene, Karl,
Brad Fuller, Josh Gargus,

Thanks for your reply!

*Edgar: I havent found any working link for SqueakLight, but Im interested
in this, If you can send me any other link to try download. Thanks.*

Well, first Im a game developer (www.bitcrafters.com.br) from Brazil. I love
Ultima Online and *nix OSes. My company Bitcrafters Inc. is stopped cause
Game Business here in Brazil is madness, we are trying to continue our
company, but for now Im working in another company, that is Smalltalk
focused (maybe someone know, its name is Objective), and Im learning
Smalltalk and it is my newer obsession. I loved Smalltalk and I want learn
it beyond my job needs. So I found Squeak and saw that it run on linux.
Squeak is a very impressive enviroment for everything. So I saw in Squeak a
tool to help me with 3 things:

 - Learning Smalltalk and Squeak.
 - Easy networking learning.
 - Ultima Online client for *nix platforms.

I dont expect get a full functional Ultima Online client, what I want most
Is to learn.

About Ultima Online:

 Ultima Online is a massive multiplayer fantasy game 2d tile-based, that has
about 9yrs. There is tons of server emulators and tons of freeshards. Almost
everything about UO is documented on net. From packet guide, to file formats
and even tons of client implementations trials. Today exist only two free
clients implementations (Krrios client that is .NET and is Windows only, and
Iris that is a 3D client for any platform).

 I think that Squeak can be the way to a new client, cause its has almost
everything needed implemented, Morphic, Media and Networking. I dont think
its hard neither its easy to implement an UO client with Squeak. But I think
it will be a very good squeak-learning fun project. :)

Some links:

Ultima Online (.MUL/.IDX) File Format:
http://uo.stratics.com/heptazane/fileformats.shtml

Ultima Online Packet Guides:
http://uopackets.emuresource.com/packets.php
http://www.hartte.de/uopro/index.html.gz

Ultima Online Biggest/Better Server Emulator (Open Source):
http://www.runuo.com/

There is an official free UO client (UO AoS / Age of Shadows), but I cannot
find any link to download.