pending mac VM 3.8.8b7 for comment

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Aug 23 00:07:22 UTC 2005

MMm, seems we create the window say at 1280x1024, then shift to full
screen on the target which is actually 1440x900, then draw, then
squeak wakes up anddraws at 1280x1024, then realizes its 1440x900 and
draws again. Problem is we've queued up these three draw events and
are caching after the first one. The post wait flush then occurs much
later...

You get the same behaviour pre 3.8.8bx  it just happens much faster.
Really the fix should be to build the full screen logic at startup
time and report back the correct screen size, versus using the
1280x1024 saved size for the first iteration.
I suspect there could also be a smalltalk code change for that too.

Also to complicate things we don't actually show the window until the
first draw event, so we need to report the saved size I think for the
first iteration because the screen
does not exist quite yet... Mmm lots of complicated things going on
for the first screen draw and resize for full screen after image
startup. Fixing this issue might take a bit of thought.
However nice catch I hadn't thought that one would change screen
sizes between sessions. Mind you I'll guess that a full screen game
would see this quite a bit based on the work station the image is
saved on, and the computer you play the game on. .

On 22-Aug-05, at 7:28 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> When starting up an image saved in different-resolution full-screen
> mode (like, running a 1280x1024 image on a 1440x900 screen), a
> white area to the right is visible for a while. It seems the VM
> reports the saved display size to the image rather than the actual
> screen size - we center our main UI on the display screen when
> starting up, and it appears offset on the 3.8 VM (was fine in 3.7),
> like if it was centered in the 1280 screen.
>
> - Bert -
>
> Am 22.08.2005 um 14:52 schrieb John M McIntosh:

===