Keeping a Safe, Clean, and Current Development Environment

Daniel Salama dsalama at user.net
Wed Aug 24 02:15:23 UTC 2005

I'm relatively new to Squeak and as I have mentioned it in the past,
I love it.

However, I guess there must be some tricks of the trade that you
learn either through experience or from others with more experience,
and that's the reason for this email.

I mainly use Squeak to develop Seaside apps. I develop on Mac OS and
deploy to Linux. My development environment contains a bunch of
Monticello packages and SqueakMap packages that I use most often.

Although I haven't used Monticello as other have suggested for
version control maintenance, I do understand the possibilities of
doing it and will start versioning my apps with it. That way, I can
also always have a standalone versioned release of my apps that I
could load into other images.

However, the question I have is, say a new image comes out (e.g. 3.9,
3.10, 4.0 etc), how can I migrate my entire development environment
to the new image? I could file-in my apps that I saved in Monticello,
but what about all the other packages I loaded? The stock full image
(VM and image) seems to come with a .changes file, so the packages
that I load will simply be added to that .changes file. Therefore,
the .changes file will not only contain my changes, but also the
changes that came with the original image I started with. I would
hate to have to load each of the packages I normally use again for
every new "environment" I setup.

Any clues as to how I can simplify this process?

Thanks,
Daniel