[Q] Speed comparison 2.8 vs 3.8

Eddie Cottongim cottonsqueak at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 25 02:18:34 UTC 2005

Günther Schmidt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just bought myself Mark Guzdials Blue Book and am thus using Squeak
> 2.8, I've usually been using 3.8.
>
> Morphic in 2.8 gives me the impression to be a lot faster than in the
> 3.8 version, am I imagining this or can that actually be so?
>
> Günther

Depending on what kind of machine and how your UI is set up, the
difference is about 6x on the out of the box configuration. Its not
really a fair comparison though because of the newer eye candy. Changing
to the ST80 theme in 3.8 brings it down to about 3X. The improvements in
3.9a should get the difference to about 2.5X in the ST80 theme and  4.5X
in the out of the box theme. All this is using the 10 browser test on a
p4-2.8ghz.

Other interesting notes, the VM has improved about 10% since 2.8, and
LazyLists make PluggableLists considerably better (when working
correctly anyway). The slowdowns include eye candy and
internationalization, but I don't completely understand where all the
time is going.

Eddie