[Q] Speed comparison 2.8 vs 3.8

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Aug 25 11:29:54 UTC 2005

Hi Gunther

I presume nothing. I just want to make clear that marcus and I are
paying attention that
all the good fixes that improves the situation will really be
considered and pushed if necessary in 3.9.

Our goal is to produce a much better environment so that everybody
can create new wealth (multimedia,
authoring, web dev...assets).

We are concerned that the overall quality of squeak should improve so
that we can invent the future.
So this is why we will introduce the new compiler, method annotation
(but optimized), traits, networks, socket
fixes, services, refactoring everywhere....... all the refactoring
fixes,

Now if someone want to help there are plenty of room to help:
     - write tests
     - speed up Omnibrowser
     - clean and remove junk
     - clean up menus
     - if someone wants the menu bar of diego, he should extract it
and fix the performance penalties.

at the end I can tell you that we want 3.9 to be an "enabler release".