pending mac VM 3.8.8b7 for comment

Jesse Welton jwelton at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu
Thu Aug 25 12:27:08 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 07:05:43AM -0700, John M McIntosh wrote:
> The move to quartz is not only for throttling issues, but also to
> address code changes required for the macintel version.

I understand that.  I asked what triggers throttling problems because
at this point I'd rather stick with an older VM, as long as I'm
unlikely to experience problems from throttling.  I haven't noticed
any, so I wonder under what conditions they occur.  If I'm not going
to trigger them, I have little reason to update other than to test the
new VM.

> I'll have a change that will make the pending update a bit faster and
> hopefully fix the menu update issue.  I'll post that later
> today EST.

It's better.  It still leaves multiple menu items highlighted as you
drag, but the updates are quicker and smoother.

> The Hilbert code is the worst possible case, usually not way people
> do things? Perhaps the bouncing atoms is more
> general and for that we want to have good consistency in the animation.

True enough, and I don't see much difference with bouncing atoms.  I
do see a difference with some of my own animations, though.  A certain
animation that received 17 frames in 3.8.8b2 receives only 14 frames
in 3.8.8b12 (and closer to 13 in 3.8.8b11).

-Jesse