[Q] Speed comparison 2.8 vs 3.8

Juan Vuletich jmvsqueak at uolsinectis.com.ar
Fri Aug 26 17:14:01 UTC 2005

Hi Fellows,

The MorphicSplitters project is a first step towards this.

MorphicSplitters started with an Etoys-free Morphic image I made on 2004,
based on 3.7. It was really easier to understand and could have been a good
base for complete Morphic overhaul. At that time I was decided to fork
Squeak for my own projects. To me having a clean Morphic is even more
valuable that having the fixes and enhancements of the official version. (If
somebody wants it, let me know).

But then, many people showed interest on this work. It became clear that
although it was hard, it would be possible do this cleaning in the official
version. So the MorphicSplitters project was born.

The mid-term objective of MorphicSplitters is to be able to unload Etoys
from a standard image and have a smaller Morphic that works properly. The
long term objective is to remove Etoys and other optional packages that use
Morphic from the image, and have them in SqueakMap. And when all Etoys users
switch to Tweak, just leave Etoys behind.

Anybody who wants to help with this project should wait until ToolBuilder
and the first version of MorphicSplitters get into the official version.
Then, cleaning Morphic could perhaps be more of a community work.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich