internal or external, that is the question

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Sat Aug 27 00:58:27 UTC 2005

Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi Brad--
>
> > Where do I find each plugins "normal" configuration state?
> > (configuration state = internal OR external)
>
>     I don't think there is such a thing. This is just a choice you
> make yourself based on logistics. E.g., if you're likely to want to
> rebuild a plugin separately, without having to create a whole new VM
> (or even stopping the currently running one) then "external" is a good
> choice. Generally, people either make them all internal or all external.

One thing that'll clear up my question: I'm referring to all the plugins
in the SVN . I'm just trying to build the default to get my feet wet.

I've moved most primitives to external, (some seem to be required to be
Internal.) And I've generated all.

Now my problem is that make fails -- interp.h seems to be missing - or -
it's not created (email references are not decisive.). I've found
several recent emails confusing me (which, is easy to do):
    One where Ross Boylan has moved the generated source dir to src from
src32 and compilation was successful
         (don't know why that would make a difference)
    Another where Alan Grimes states that interp.h is not on the SVN
(which seems to indicate that it is not created).
    Still another where Sachin Desai says that interp.h is not created
and that he creates it by hand to get things working
         (which implies that he thinks it ought to be created by VMTool.)

Some plugins will generate an error when placed in either the external
or internal list (BalloonEnginePlugin is one). And FFIPlugin,
B3DAcceleratorPlugin and B3DEnginePlugin will generate a walkback if
placed as an External (I made these Internal for it to work.)

So, I guess my question is: what's up with interp.h? Where do I get it
to get past this error?

brad