internal or external, that is the question

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sat Aug 27 06:17:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 09:16:25PM -0700, Brad Fuller wrote:
> Ross Boylan wrote:
>
> >If you're trying to build off of svn head on Unix, you've got an
> >adventure. In some of my earlier messages I laid out the exact steps
> >I had to follow (as well as many false starts). My build procedure
> >included getting a special VMMaker, applying some patches, and other
> >contortions. The changes related to garbage collection grew out of my
> >particular interest in that area, but the rest were just to get it to
> >compile and run.
>
> What special VMMaker did you use? I'm using the latest 3.8 squeak
VMMaker-tpr.37, which I got from Tim Rowledge's site:
http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/SqFiles/packages/VMMaker/

as described in
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2005-July/093172.html

That's in the earlier (July) threads "memory and VM issues."

> >Also, to clarify, when I changed to src from src32 I did so in the
> >VMMaker tool. I'm not sure if simply renaming the directory is
> >sufficient.
>
> I did change the dir in VMMaker Tool, but it made no difference.
> Also, I do see that interp.h is in the unix/src32/vm directory but not
> in the unix/src//vm dir. I copied it over, but that didn't make build
> run either -- it still couldn't find it.
> The build stops at vm/vm.a
>
> I'll search more for your emails and see if I can piece together your
> troubles.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2005-August/093783.html
gives the success recipe.  Most of the steps are in the earlier
message that this one quotes.

> From your email, it sounds like it's rather difficult to put together
> the vm at this point. Is that because it's in a state of flux re: 64-bit
> work?
Yes.  There may be other work going on too.

Another route is to attempt to build off a known good state, rather
than the leading edge.  You could start with one of the Unix tarballs,
for example.