Traits approaching mainstream Squeak

Michael Rueger michael at impara.de
Sat Aug 27 20:32:30 UTC 2005

Daniel Vainsencher schrieb:
> Yes, at the moment, we're using Traits lazily to avoid duplication and
> inappropriate inheritance. We are not actively refactoring other parts
> of the system at the moment. Doing so would probably make the merge into
> mainstream Squeak more difficult.

Glad this discussion came up.
Just to be clear, I'm all for having the Traits kernel in 3.9!

But, at first I would suggest, and I think you want to do this anyways,
that traits are not actually used. Not because they don't work or
anything, but because of design considerations. So my gut feeling is
that we should not use it for major refactoring of the system core in
the near future.

OOP has taken many years to come up with something like patterns and my
guess is that, although not quite that long, it will take some time for
best practices to emerge for traits.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be negative here, just
cautious and wouldn't mind if you prove me wrong ;-)

Somewhat related:
how do traits affect packages? Should/can they be in separate packages?

Michael