internal or external, that is the question

Brad Fuller bfuller at sonaural.com
Sat Aug 27 20:53:58 UTC 2005

On Saturday 27 August 2005 01:25 pm, Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 12:07:02PM -0700, Brad Fuller wrote:
> > I should state the obvious: Why is the bleeding edge source in the
> > trunk? Why hasn't that been branched off? I expected the stable version
> > to be in the trunk, not the working copies.
>
> Having development at the head seems like pretty standard practice to
> me.

In my experience, it is common for the trunk to be the released/stable version and branches to be work in progress. Individuals or groups can work on a branch independently, do their own testing, etc. and then merge back to trunk when testing is complete and everyone agrees that the particular branch (or portions) is now the stable version. The squeak group is informal, so I don't believe more formal mgmt is needed.

What I would suggest is that the known, agreed, stable source for 3.7 (maybe that's the tarball at Ian's) is placed in a new trunk. Then a branch or branches can be created that contain the current work of others.
This may or may not go down well with others, but it guarantees that someone can grab the current trunk, build and they get the same result as what has been released.

> > Or, am I missing something here?
> >
> > Going to Ian's source will just complicate matters and doesn't guarantee
> > source code consistency. Now there are two source trees.
>
> Ian's source code is internally consistent: it builds.  Presumably it
> is externally consistent with the svn sources and the image as of some
> date.  It might have additional patches (I'm not familiar with the
> details).  It has the advantage of being known to build.

I would suggest that we need agreement from those who know that
file: Squeak-3.7-7.src.tar.gz (I assume) is "the" last known good stable source.

Then, we need to find the other platform vm sources to create the stable trunk (I need these eventually, too)
It might be that the current trunk is pretty close already. I don't know.

But, IMO, the trunk should build and work, period. People shouldn't have to be hunting down this or that to get it to build. And, the build should be identical to the currently released version of squeak.

--
Brad Fuller
(408) 799-6124