Help for beginners (was Re: Request for Comment: MethodAnnotations for 3.9alpha)

Alejandro F. Reimondo aleReimondo at smalltalking.net
Sun Aug 28 10:04:57 UTC 2005

Hi Edgar, all;

[warning: large and non-spellchecked :-) ]
> Markus and all working in "Future Squeak"
> Please I beg a clear "why us think ..." page somewhere.
[...snip...]
> Sorry if I wasting your time, but as String refactoring is causing me some
> problems, I really scare some radical as touching CompiledMethods.

IMHO, the real problem is related with thinking one can
 make the other's future a better place to live :-)
The plans and actions taken to define/force a future
 only make visionaries and is not compromised with
 evolution nor with the present.
 (use of vision put is to use only object orientation,
 the future and is not related with reality/present)

When we do a plan, we make a change; but it does
 not mean in any way evolution.
It only guaranty risk and pain (generally of the others,
 the users of our invent/machine).
So it is very important to make little/slow/invisible changes
 and reinforce education to evade the continuos proliferation
 of non-relevant/regional enhacements.

The addition of native changes [*] increase the risk of failures
 and bad use of the additions increasing garbage.
Any explisit evaluation of risk and how the garbage will be
 controlled and mantained under control is a very important
 ingredient of a plan.

[*] specially for changes in the way we think about behavior.
The adoption of a model where behavior is anObject (and
 e.g. many species of behaviors are drawn),
 must be revised and the convenience demostrated
 with a proper evaluation of the "side effects" in people.
To fraction/split behavior in smaller parts can be helpfull
 in low term but will put us in the same problem faced
 by physicians decades ago, when they thought that
 all can/must be modelled by objects... reducing the world
 to written words.

> Why some members think inheritance is not enough ?

Inheritance is a technique, has it´s limits as any technique.
But there are more techniques for delegation than inheritance.

To see the other techniques as hacks, in my opinion,
 reveals a lack of education and show us we have to make
 more efforts in education. Building more primitive tools
 for applying the techniques si not enough to ensure good
 use of them.
 (is like making machines to recollect garbage and not
 to focus on the garbage generation activities)

best,
Ale.