internal or external, that is the question

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Aug 28 20:41:28 UTC 2005

Michael Rueger wrote:
> Andreas Raab schrieb:
>
>> Also, the set of maintainers has been working together in some form or
>> other for almost ten years now and you should at least consider the
>> possibility that there are reasons for why things are the way they are.
>
> But, it also makes it incredibly hard for people outside that exclusive
> circle to participate. If you force people to use file releases instead
> of a shared repository there can be no meaningful community
> participation in the process.

I do not force people to use anything. I tell them that "If you want a
build that is known to work, you should use a file release. If you are
up to a sometimes somewhat bumpy ride feel free to use the repository
directly."

For most people such a setup is vastly advantageous since they get a
version that's known to build and can put their development on top of
that. Which gives us the ability to diff and compare against a known
version, (hopefully) making it easier to integrate the changes.

> For instance, if people would like to explore the recently submitted
> alternate unix socket implementation they need to send around files
> instead of pointing people to branch XYZ of the repository.

Commit rights for everyone? I don't think that'll happen.

> And, certain VM platform versions have lagged for months in the past as
> there are single person responsibilities.

True for Windows at this point. So what do you propose to change?

Cheers,
   - Andreas